In 1952, the Institute
of Medicine was born, a medical school manned and staffed
by some of the biggest names in the Philippine medicine,
each one highly skilled in his line. The high expectations
generated then have since been fulfilled dramatically
by the top-rated graduates turned out by the Institute.
The Institute of
Medicine, in fact, was an idea already conceived as early
as the incorporation of the Far Eastern University in
1934. Dr. Nicanor Reyes Sr., founder and first president
of FEU, had conceived of an Institute of Medicine in line
with his vision of building up FEU, already a pioneer
in progressive non-sectarian education, into a school
dedicated to help in the nation-building in as many areas
of service possible, When the Institute was founded in
1952, it was the realization of another of the dreams
of the founder.
The Institute of
Medicine was placed directly under a Medical Committee
composed of Dr. Lauro H. Panganiban, Chairman, Dr. Aureo
F. Gutierrez and Dr. Ricardo L. Alfonso, members. In 1952,
Dr. Panganiban was named Dean of the Institute, Dr. Gutierrez,
Director of the FEU Medical Clinic and Dr. Alfonso, Director
of the Far Eastern University Hospital. To formulate policies
and to supervise the operation of the university hospital,
a Hospital Committee was created with Dean Lauro Panganiban
as Chairman and the following as members: President Teodoro
Evangelista of the Far Eastern University, Executive Vice
President Nicanor Reyes Jr., Don Angel Palanca, Mr. Hector
del Rosario and Dr. Ricardo Alfonso.
In 1956, the internship
program for the first graduating class of the Institute
was started. In March, 1957, the class was graduated by
the Institute, making the Institute of Medicine a full-fledged
medical school. Since then its graduates have topped or
placed in the top ten positions of the government medical
board examination, Remarkable too, has been the consistency
of the high passing average they have logged in the government
tests. Capping these successes, graduates of the Foundation
have worked their way to important staff, research and
teaching positions, not only in the Institute itself,
but in other medical establishment in the country and
In 1960, the Institute
started another branch of training in medical science
when it admitted the first batch of students in the new
Medical Technology course. Thus, in March 1963, the Institute
turned out the first medical technology graduates after
an intensive 12 months in-service training as intems in
the laboratories of the FEU Hospital and other recognized
training hospital in Manila.
The seventh day
of August, 1970, marks a milestone in the history of the
Institute of Medicine of the Far Eastern University. Aware
of modem trends in medical education, the Board of Trustees,
Far Eastern University, upon ratification by its stockholders,
announced the conversion of the Institute of Medicine,
the School of Medical Technology under it, the Hospital
and the Student Health Service into a non-stock non-profit
educational foundation, now known as the Far Eastern University-Dr.
Nicanor Reyes Medical Foundation. This act realizes and
fulfills the hopes and objectives of years of negotiations
and planning: The Medical School and Hospital, severing
its ties with the corporate body of the Far Eastern University,
now stands as an independent institution with its own
board under the chairmanship of Dr. Nicanor Reyes Jr.
concerned solely with the dispensing of its educational
duties. As a result during this transition period, the
Medical Foundation has to stand on its own activities
and generates its own funds by way of soliciting grants,
donations and endowments particularly from the alumni.
About the same year, the 4-year curriculum has been implemented.
So that in 1973, both under the old and the new curricula,
there was a combined graduation.
In 1982, the Medical
Foundation acquired its own physical plants for its medical
school and hospital. It purchased the hospital building
it was renting and two school buildings adjacent to it
from Far Eastern University and renovated them to satisfy
the needs of a modern medical institution of learning.
On June 14, 1983, the medical school opened its classes
at the start of the new academic year in its own new facility.
In 1996, the Institute accepted about 120 Physical therapy
students in the third year. Now, the Foundation is again
in the stage of planning for the relocation of the Foundation
in its new property at Fairview, Quezon City.
and Academic Policies
The Institute of
Medicine is committed to the maintenance of the highest
academic standards possible. Only competent medical educators
are appointed to its faculty. Most faculty members, especially
in the basic sciences, are fulltime professors, to insure
undivided loyalty and devotion to the Institute and its
student body, All medical students are encouraged to take
advantage of all the facilities and opportunities afforded
them for their self-advancement.
Instruction Is so
arranged that there is close correlation in the subject
matter presented to the students by the various departments
of instruction. Lectures are ordinarily handled by the
professorial staff. Known national medical educators are
invited for special topics that are relevant and of interest
to the students and faculty. There is continuous faculty
training and development to keep up with new medical developments.
There is continuous
evaluation of the curriculum to make it more relevant
with the goals of the nation for medical care. For closer
correlation between lecture and laboratory classes, lecturers
exercise supervision over the laboratory experiments.
In every laboratory class, at least one instructor is
assigned to every 20-25 students, and for purposes of
clinical instructions, one faculty member is assigned
to each of five to fifteen students.
Students are encouraged
to grow intellectually largely through their own efforts.
At all times, however, they have available faculty members
for counselling and guidance. Students who fall to cope
with the standards of the Institute are asked to withdraw.
The Institute of
Medicine is under the administrative responsibility of
the Dean, assisted by the Assistant Dean. It has thirteen
departments of instruction as follows:
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Child Health
- Department of Community and
- Department of Human Structural
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Obstetrics and
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Department of Otolaryngology,
Head and Neck Surgery
- Department of Pathology and
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Surgery
has a chairman. The chairman of the clinical department
is also the chairman of corresponding services in the
FEU-NRMF Hospital. The chairman of the Department of Community
and Family Medicine is also chairman of Department of
Community and Family Medicine of the hospital.
The members of the
teaching staff in the department supervise the conduct
of laboratory experiments, while in the clinical departments,
they give bedside conferences during the students' ward
The academic year
in all departments consists of two semesters except in
the second year, which is 12 months. Normally the first
semester lasts from the first week of June to the first
half of October, while the second semester starts in November
and ends in March the following year.
Each semester consists
of 18 weeks of normal classroom instructions and examinations,
as prescribed by the Commission on Higher Education.
Classes in the Institute
are held Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
and then from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Students of the
senior classes spend their clinical clerkship in the hospitals
where they are assigned every day from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00
noon and then from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and also they
rotate on 24-hour duty.
Since school year,
1972-1973, clinical clerkship is a fulltime clinical experience.
And from school year, 1973-1974, internship is no longer
required for the awarding of the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
The standard system
of rating college student performance is as follows:
- 1.00........95 - 100%)-.Excellent
- 1.25.........92 - 94% )
- 1.50.........90 - 91% )-.Very
- 1.75.........88 - 89% )
- 2.00.........85 - 87% )-.Good
- 2.25.........82 - 84% )
- 2.75.........78 - 79% )-.Satisfactory
- 3.00.........75 - 77% )-.Lowest
- 5.00 ......Below 75%)-.Failure
The different departments
may devise their onvn evaluation system, depending on
the competencies required. However, the reporting of grades
are uniform, with 75% or 3.0 as the lowest passing mark.
The Institute of
Medicine is housed in the five-story building adjacent
to the FEU-NRMF Hospital.
The Department of
Community and Family Medicine is on the lower ground.
The Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition and the Department
of Pathology and Laboratory Diagnosis are located in the
upper ground. The Department of Pharmacology, Department
of Microbiology and Parasiltology, and Department of Physiology
are all on the second floor. For microscope during each
period. Fifty sets of over 100 different parasitology
slides are available for the use of the students. The
departments exensively use projection slides, microscopic
slides, ovehead transparencies and movie projections for
instructions. The human Structural Biology, Parasitology
and Pathology laboratories are equipped with TV monitors
for viewing demonstrations and VHS tapes. Animal experiments
provide part of the work in experimental pathology, pharmacology
and microbiology. For the laboratory work, each instructors
supervises not more than 25 students.
The Physiology laboratory
is equipped with low voltage circuits, time circuits and
compressed air and gas connection for each table. Physiology
apparatus like polygraphs are issued to groups of 14 to
18 students in large animal experiments. Special equipments,
like the audiometer polygraph, electrocardiograph, the
flouroscope and moving pictures of experiments, are available
for instruction of the students.
The Biomedical laboratory
is equipped with spectroscope, polariscopes, pH meter,
centrifuges, chromatographic and electrophoretic apparatus,
besides the complete assortment of the usual chemical
apparatus. In addition, a refrigerated semi-ultracentrifuge
and other modern and state of the art equipments are available
for research work of the department.
The offices and
laboratories of the Department of Human Structural Biology
are located on the fourth floor. Compound, Binocular microscopes
and microsections are provided to students for their work
in Microscopic HSB. Research and Diagnostic binocular
microscopes are available for advance works; Cadavers,
models, ad charts are used in Gross HSB. Gross specimens
of brain and models are used in neuro-anatomy.
The FEU-NRMF Hospital
is the main teaching hospital. Its construction ws supervised
by specialist in hospital administration. It is modern
in every respect, including the most recent innovations
in hospital construction, with the biggest consideration
during its planning given to the incorporation of facilities
for teaching. The hospital laboratory is now situated
in a bigger and more modern area in the upper ground floor
of the Hospital. The different clinical departments have
their own offices and conference room in the Hospital.
All of these changes and improvements were accomplished
to cope with the increasing number of patients seeking
admission and dispensary services in the hospital.
The entire hospital
is organized and conducted primarily for teaching purposes.
Service patients are cared for and treated without any,
or with only nominal fees. They are provided with same
facilities as paying patients, a policy which has earned
for the hospital the appelation: "Hospital With A
airconditioned classroom and laboratories, Ricardo Alfonso
Multi-purpose Hall, Guidance and medical council offices,
chapel, canteen, security office, medical and dental clinics
and car park.